Electric vehicles (EVs) are rapidly becoming the future of transportation — a future that’s unfolding across the nation and right here in Colorado. Drive Electric Colorado reported that “as of January 7, 2023, there were 72,840 EVs on the road in Colorado,” making up 7.86% of vehicles on Colorado roads.
With the Centennial State’s commitment to sustainability, it’s no surprise that EV charging options are expanding and that the benefits are more evident than ever. Let’s dive into the world of EV charging in Colorado and discover why it’s time to make the switch.
EV Charging Options in Colorado
Colorado boasts a wide range of EV charging options, catering to the diverse needs of its residents. Here are the basics for charging your EV and where you can find EV chargers across the state.
- Level 1 Charging: This is the standard home charging option, using a 120V outlet. It’s a slower process that’s great for overnight charging, ensuring your EV is ready for the day ahead.
- Level 2 Charging: Faster than Level 1, these 240V chargers are commonly found in public spaces, shopping centers, and dedicated EV charging stations across Colorado.
- DC Fast Charging: For those on the go, DC fast chargers provide an 80% charge in just 30 minutes. Ideal for long journeys, these are popping up along Colorado’s major highways.
Why Make the Switch?
The benefits of EVs and their charging options do a lot of good for our state, our nation, and our planet.
- Eco-friendliness: EVs produce zero emissions, making them a clean alternative to traditional vehicles. Colorado’s natural beauty, from the Rocky Mountains to its pristine lakes, deserves preservation. By choosing EVs, residents play a part in reducing our carbon footprint.
- Economic savings: With Colorado’s abundant renewable energy sources, charging an EV can be significantly cheaper than filling up a gas tank. Plus, the state offers tax incentives for EV owners, making the switch even more appealing.
- Convenience: With the increasing number of charging stations, it’s never been easier to find a spot to power up your vehicle. Whether you’re in downtown Denver or exploring the scenic routes of Aspen, charging stations are readily available.
As Colorado continues to lead in sustainable initiatives, we at the Colorado Clean Energy Fund are dedicated to driving this change. We support Coloradoans in their efforts to transition to clean energy, using the tools we have as a green bank to break down the financial barriers that inhibit access to clean energy for communities across the state. Explore our products and programs here to see how we can help you.